"This is what I miss… not something that’s gone, but something that will never happen."
— Margaret Atwood, Cat’s Eye (via larmoyante)
"Why do I feel this alone? Basically, because I’ve always been alone. I’ve always been alone. And alone I’ll be. It’s about time I become aware of it and never forget it."
— Andrei Tarkovsky (via larmoyante)
"To realize that all your life—you know, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain—it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person…And like a lot of dreams, there’s a monster at the end of it."
— True Detective (via larmoyante)
"Each day, we wake slightly altered, and the person we were yesterday is dead. So why, one could say, be afraid of death, when death comes all the time?"
— John Updike, Self-Consciousness (via larmoyante)
warrenworthingtonlll said: What did remender do this time?
Let’s tally up the scorecard, shall we?
- Retconned Steve’s father, Joseph, from a drunk to a wifebeater (contingent on the dangerous assumption that alcoholism = violence)
- Wrote Steve as identifying with his abusive father
- Fridged Sharon Carter, mercilessly, at the hands of the same villain who brutalized and brainwashed her two volumes previous
- Fridged two X-Men staples, Scarlet Witch and Rogue, trimming his Uncanny Avengers team down to one female and no POCs
- Wrote an extended metaphor comparing the word “mutant” to other racial epithets into Uncanny Avengers, and when people reacted negatively to his extreme tone-deafness, he urged them to kill themselves
- Relied heavily on gore and ham-handed Holocaust imagery with his UA story arc featuring the Red Skull
- Cribbed, begged, borrowed, and stolen story arcs outright from previous creators
- And today - included an unsafe, nonconsensual (intoxicated) sexual encounter between Sam Wilson and a female OC who previously had been written as underage but has been since “aged up” in order to make her legal for sex, apparently (she’s meant to the same age as Ian Zola, Steve’s adoptive son who was twelve when Steve left Dimension Z, but is now apparently 23 even though no time has passed in-narrative). She’s also often depicted wearing essential Lelo’s suit from The Fifth Element, albeit with 1000% more tits and fanservice
Essentially, Rick Remender is the unholy trinity - a racist, sexist, ableist bastard who gets off on ruining character’s narratives, backstories, and lives to further his story goals. He’s an unoriginal hack who relies upon time-worn tropes of violence against women, substance abuse, grey-areas of sexual assault, and genocide to tell stories that are neither entertaining nor particularly memorable.
Avoid him, but don’t just do that. Write Marvel at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet them @Marvel. Voice your displeasure with the sort of work that does nothing but reinforce stereotypes, alienate fans, and make comics an unsafe space for abuse and sexual assault survivors and their allies.
What Rick Remender writes about is fiction, but the themes he deals in lightly are dangerous. No comics fan deserves to be treated like their experiences don’t matter.